The Central Valleys are easy day-trips
The valley is Y-shaped with Oaxaca
City in the center and the valley is quite high in altitude
-- the average is 1,550 meters (5,115 feet). It is also quite extensive,
more than 3,375 square kilometers (1,303 square miles) in size.
The agrigultural land covers about 1100 square kilometers (700 square
miles) and is largest 'flat' patch of arable land in the state.Not
surprisingly, this is where the earliest settlements were founded.
The Tlacolula Valley extends 50 kilometers to the
east, the Zimatlan valley stretches 100 kilometers to the south,
and the Etla valley extends 40 kilometers to the northwest.
Oaxacan valleys enjoys a pleasant climate year-round, though the
hottest months are April and May. Expect a chance of rain between
May and October. The rainiest months are June and July.
Central Valleys Index
- Oaxaca A-Z
- How to get from A-Z
- Guide to regional crafts. SLIDESHOW
- Join the summertime festival. SLIDESHOW
Days in Oaxaca
- For centuries, small towns in Oaxaca have hosted weekly markets.
- Oaxaca is one of Mexico's pioneers for rural tourism.
- Visit one of the premier archaeological sites in the country.
Danza de la
Caldo de Piedra
in Rojas - Erick Igari
- Erick Igari